Tomiyoshi-Takehaya Shrine and Hakkensha Shrine | AichiNow-OFFICIAL SITE FOR TOURISM AICHI

We use cookies on this site to enhance your user experience. If you continue to browse, you accept the use of cookies on our site.
See our cookies policy for more information.


Kanie-Town Tomiyoshi-Takehaya Shrine and Hakken-sha Shrine

  • Tomiyoshi-Takehaya Shrine and Hakken-sha Shrine

Located on the east bank of the Kaniegawa River, the enshrined deity at Tomiyoshi-Takehaya Shrine is Susanoo-no-Mikoto, while Hakken-sha Shrine’s deity is the divine spirt of Kusanagi and the “Five Great Gods of Atsuta.”
Originally constructed in the year 733 and then restored by general Kiso Yoshinaka in 1182, Tomiyoshi-Takehaya Shrine was later repaired in 1548 by warlord Oda Nobunaga, the first of the Three Unifiers of Japan. Furthermore, it is said that the second of the Three Unifiers, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, offered rice and money to the shrine and prayed here for the end to an epidemic.
Each building has special characteristics from the Muromachi period. Both have cypress bark roofs, but Tomiyoshi-Takehaya Shrine’s main shrine has one ken (an interval between pillars) in the common nagare-zukuri style of architecture and Hakken-sha Shrine has three ken in the misedana-zukuri style.
The skillful techniques seen in elements such as the front part of the sloping roof and the curved wooden support on the main beam give the buildings their designation of national Important Cultural Properties.
The Sunari Festival, a registered UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage, is held every year on the first Saturday and Sunday in August as a religious festival of these two shrines.


  • Parking
Location : 〒497-0031
1363 Monyashikikami, Sunari, Kanie-cho, Ama-gun, Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Parking : Available
Phone number : 0567-58-1360 (Kanie Town Tourism Association)

Note: This page may not be current due to update time differences between site databases.
Should accuracy be critical, please verify this information using a direct source, whenever possible.


  • Access by public transport
    Access by public transport
    Ride from JR Nagoya Station to Kanie Station. Walk approx. 15 min.
  • Access by car
    Access by car
    5 min. from Kanie I.C. on the Higashi-Meihan Expressway.

Share spot information with a smartphone

QR code


#Tomiyoshi-Takehaya Shrine and Hakkensha Shrine
#Oda Nobunaga
#Sunari Festival
#UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage


Arako Kannon TempleNagoya-City

Arako Kannon Temple
Aichi’s capital, Nagoya, has a long history, but due to the repeated and heavy air raid bo...
  • Parking

Nagoya City Hideyoshi & Kiyomasa Memorial MuseumNagoya-City

Nagoya City Hideyoshi & Kiyomasa Memorial Museum
A history museum on the 2nd floor of Nakamura Park Cultural Plaza. The museum mainly colle...
  • Parking

Toyokuni Shrine (Toyokuni Jinja)Nagoya-City

Toyokuni Shrine (Toyokuni Jinja)
In 1885, Toyokuni Shrine was established in Owari Nakamura (present day Nakamura Ward, Nag...
  • Multipurpose toilet
  • Parking

Birthplace of Oda Nobunaga / Shobata Castle SiteInazawa-City ...

Birthplace of Oda Nobunaga / Shobata Castle Site
According to the ancient manuscript, "Records of Owari Castles," defining the birth sites ...

    Tsushima ShrineTsushima-City

    Tsushima Shrine
    • Parking
    • Wi-Fi

    Roadside Station "Michi-no-Eki" Tatsuta Fureai-no-SatoAisai-City

    Roadside Station "Michi-no-Eki" Tatsuta Fureai-no-Sato
    The city of Aisai is famous for its expansive farms of renkon - lotus root - which are ble...
    • Multipurpose toilet
    • Souvenirs
    • Parking
    • Restaurant
    • Wi-Fi


    Page Top